Monday, December 29, 2008

Slightly belated stocking filler

Here's a snippet of Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone from BBC 6music last week: a version of Good King Wenceslas recorded by a choir of various Top Gear stalwarts in 1970, including Soft Machine, Sonja Kristina (Curved Air) and Marc Bolan.

Listen/Download
(112K MP3, 4.7Mb, 5:50)

Maconie's guest, "Professor Spear", goes on to explain that this rendition originally appeared in the Christmas Top Gear of 27-12-69. However that's clearly incorrect as I posted that particular show a couple of months back, and this song is not in it.

(BTW, does anyone think that Prof. Spear's words about the 27-12-69 show sound remarkably like he's reading from my earlier post?)

Thanks to Colin Ellis for letting me know about this show.

4 comments:

smorodina said...

I remember this - it's part of the Carol Concert first broadcast on 26th December 1970 (according to my own list made at the time and confirmed by Ken Garner's book, which also gives the recording date as 8th Dec that year - so it can't have been broadcast the previous year).

I'd love to hear the whole set again - I wonder if it's out there?

Andy

entrailicus said...

Belated Happy Christmas and New Year!

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It's no longer there...