Friday, July 20, 2007

John Peel's Top Gear - 11th. July 1970

It's John Walters' birthday and Peel says that this Top Gear is "the nicest we've had for as long as I can remember". Sessions this week come from Son House (left), Kevin Ayers and East of Eden.

JP seems both astonished and delighted to have Son House on the programme. And I remember him saying a few years back that Jack White was pretty well incredulous when he told him Son had recorded a Peel session. But Jack's reaction is not that surprising; after all, how many contemporary British DJs in the 00s would have been able to say that they'd had one of the legendary delta bluesmen on their show? I reckon John P, who was developing a good friendship with Jack, was pretty proud to have been able to tell him that.

OK, that's it for the eight recently-unearthed Top Gears, so thanks again to hills1902, John and Phil for making them available. Hope you've enjoyed them.

Session Details

Son House
Kevin Ayers
(No details for the East of Eden session on the BBC pages)

Download (270Mb, 320Kbps MP3)

Tracklisting
  • Top Gear Theme
  • Doug Kershaw - Mama Rita in Hollywood
  • Kevin Ayers - Derby Day (session)
  • East of Eden - Nymphenburger (session)
  • Steeleye Span - The Blackleg Miner
  • Traffic - Stranger to Himself
  • Fotheringay - Nothing More
  • News
  • Poco - Hurry Up
  • Son House - My Good Gal (session)
  • John Simon - Davey's On The Road Again
  • Kevin Ayers - The Interview (session)
  • Kevin Ayers - We Did It Again (session)
  • Jellybread - Rockin' Pneumonia & The Boogie Woogie Flu
  • East of Eden - Sphynx (session)
  • Son House - Spoken Word 1 (session)
  • Son House - Death Letter (session)
  • Son House - Spoken Word 2 (session)
  • Son House - Don't You Mind People Grinnin' In Your Face (session)
  • [News Edit]
  • East of Eden - Jig-a-Jig (session)
  • Ronnie Lane - Evolution (Stone)
  • Fairport Convention - Doctor of Physics
  • Kevin Ayers - Lunatic's Lament (session)
  • Matthew's Southern Comfort - Something In The Way She Moves
  • Top Gear Theme

4 comments:

Larts said...

I can actually remember this show! I remember Son House (since downloaded from a different site) because the show made me realise that the blues was worth getting into. I used to go to the library, take out blues records and record them to cassette. I still adore Son House. He's simply brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I am building a blog spot to post updates of mixtapes, mixes, shows, dj mixes, live concerts, podcasts ect....

I just post your latest update`s on my blog spot?
If you mind, let me know.

In the future you can post your update`s yourself and i will post them on my blog.
I only post the links to your site, NO deeplinking.

And if you want to support me you can put a back link on your site
Thx and keep up the good work.
Mixdigger

http://updatespostblog.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to re-upload this show please?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.